VLOG: it's flan you fool

In seventh grade, each student in my spanish class had to prepare a spanish influenced dish and bring it in for everyone to taste.  When a boy pointed to my dish and asked what it was, I was shocked and said "You don't know what this is?  It's flan you fool."  Ok, I didn't say that but it was something nothing similar to that effect.

Flan is such a treat to eat.  It looks delicious but has difficulty presenting itself well (especially if you fail at un-molding it).  I've made several pass/fail attempts to create, in my opinion, the perfect flan that stands up to my custardy standards.  But what I was searching for was an exemplary flan.  One that would outshine the previous contenders for the the best flan award and I found it.  Take a look.  



Spanish Caramel Flan adapted from AllRecipes
Ingredients for 9-in flan
3 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp water
3 egg yolks and 1 whole egg
1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
1/3 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1) Preheat oven 350F.  Fill a baking pan with enough water to cover the surface.  Set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Add water.  Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9-in round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides.  Place dish into baking pan that contains the water.  Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, beat eggs.  Beat in evaporated milk, condensed milk, and vanilla until smooth.  Pour egg mixture into baking dish.  Cover with aluminum foil.
4) Bake in preheated oven 50-65 minutes.  Remove from water bath and let cool completely.
5) To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges.

Comments

  1. It's flantastic!! like pocket flan!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBZfJY4UsI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap wunderkind! Video! Next I want to see a full length cooking show with Yoshi sitting in frame behind you. In the style of "Cooking with Dog".

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job! and it was yummy too! but my one critique: the music is too loud! it was hard to concentrate on what you were saying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I've loved flan ever since I first tried it in Brazil. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm posting up a new video sometime in the next week and I'm really excited about it! Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  6. About to try your recipe! more delicious recipes please..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video showed 3 egg yolks and 1 full egg.Here in the written instructions it says"3 eggs and 1 egg yolk"
    Plz clarify..whats the correct amount.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @mumukshu: You're right; there is a discrepancy! The video demonstration is correct in it being three egg yolks and one whole egg! I'll edit the blog directions - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please don't be a NINJA! Leave me a comment, a question, or a simple hello!

Popular Posts