Pâte à Choux adapted from Joy of Baking
Ingredients for 12 puffs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
2 large eggs
1) Preheat the oven to 400F.
2) Sift flour, sugar and salt.
3) Bring butter and water to a boil over medium heat. Then remove from heat and add flour mixture.
Return to low heat and stir constantly until dough comes away from the sides of the pan and it is no longer sticky and leaves no residue.
4) Transfer to a mixer or a bowl. Let cool. Slowly add eggs and allow each one to incorporate before adding the next.
5) Using two spoons or moist hands, form 12 golf-ball sized dough and place on a parchment covered baking sheet.
6) Bake 15 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 250F and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes until a golden brown color is achieved.
7) Turn oven off and remove from oven and immediately pierce the puffs to release extra steam. Cool on a wire rack. You may freeze them for future use, or slice in half and fill or pipe in the filling.