VLOG: pumpkinized cinnamon buns

Some notes/rambling: My vlogs are getting longer and longer.  I'm going to try avoid doing that in future posts.  I've posted some text underneath the very unoriginal blog title/heading to give you a heads up on what my upcoming project is going to be.  I'm going to try to mix it up and bake everyday simple things along with some challenging stuff.  Those basics on cake and muffins and brownies will be discussed!

Now on to the pumpkin cinnamon buns.  In this vlog, the featured musician is Barbara Bownds, or as her friends call her - Nori!  I met Nori my freshman year in college.  She was my neighbor actually.  I've never met a soul who didn't like Nori and I don't think those people even exist because she is that awesome.  The track I've chosen is titled "Doomsday" and was the song she was teaching me how to play our last year in college.  On her website, Nori provides some background information on her music and on this particular song she writes, "I wanted to write a song about superheroes, and I got to thinking about the death of Superman (when he went up against Doomsday in the comics. Because THAT was a lasting story change)."  I loved the song then and I love it now and I hope you love it too.  So without further ado, I present to you Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns...




Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns adapted from CookingLight
Ingredients for 9 buns
1/2 packet (1 1/8 tsp) of instant quick-rise yeast
1 oz (1/8 cup) warm water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 + 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, divided
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp (a pinch) nutmeg
3 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
2 oz neufchâtel cheese, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp skim milk

Directions:
1) Add the yeast, water, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup pumpkin, butter, sugar, salt and nutmeg into a mixing bowl.   Beat until smooth.  Continue adding the remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
2) Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 60 minutes or until doubled in size.  Press two fingers into the dough. If an indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.
3) Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes.  Roll the dough into a 12 x 10-inch rectangle on a floured surface.  Spread on the 1/4 cup pumpkin puree and sprinkle on brown sugar and walnuts.
4) Roll up the rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal.  Cut roll into 9(1-inch) slices.  Place slices in a 9-inch glass pie dish coated with cooking spray.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
5) Preheat oven to 375°F.  Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool for 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
6) To prepare the glaze, combine the neufchâtel cheese, confectioners' sugar, and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.  Drizzle glaze over buns.  Serve warm.

Comments

  1. Somehow, I don't think Yim would appreciate his fav cinnamon buns being pumpkinized (veggs are yucky!), but I'm salivating! Also, I can't believe the difference in calories, that's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love pumpkin/squash season! I bet they tasted yummy too. I might make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please don't be a NINJA! Leave me a comment, a question, or a simple hello!

Popular Posts