VLOG: the scarlet cupcake

After a long break, I'm ready to start twenty-eleven with a rapid fire succession of vlog and blog posts.  So I'ma gonna hit it off with these fantastically red velvet cupcakes.  Red velvet cake is neither a chocolate nor a vanilla cake.  It does however express an ever so subtle hint of chocolately goodness.  As a tremendous supporter of Hershey's chocolate cake recipe, I decided to try out their red velvet recipe.  I generally read hundreds of reviews on a recipe before attempting to recreate my own version, however, not many bloggers discussed the wonders of this specific recipe.  So this is my review of this recipe: it is a delicious moist and tender cake, and serves as a wonderful vehicle for a sweet cream cheese frosting.  So without further ado, I present my first video blog of 2011.  Happy Baking & Eating!  And as promised in the vlog, scroll down for a troubleshooting guide on cake baking.



Hershey's Red Velvet Cake
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup All-Purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp red food color
2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) Sift together the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, flour and salt).  Set aside.
3) Beat the sugar and butter.  Add in the eggs and vanilla.
4) Stir together the wet ingredients (food coloring and buttermilk) in a measuring cup.  Set aside.
5) Alternatively add the wet and dry ingredients into the sugar/butter/egg batter.
6) Mix in the baking soda first and then the vinegar.
7) Bake for 18-20 minutes.  Test for doneness with a toothpick.  If crumbs are sticking to the toothpick, then they are done.  They will finishing baking in the cupcake pan from the residual heat for a minute or two.  

Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting adapted from my own personal trial & error experiments!
Ingredients generously frosts 12 cupcakes and then some :)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 tbsp hot water
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp sour cream

Directions
1) Dissolve the gelatin in hot water and set aside.
2) Whip the heavy whipping cream in a chilled bowl with a chilled whisk.  Once soft peaks are achieved, add the gelatin mixture.  Continue beating until the peaks become stiff.  Remove from mixing bowl and set aside.
3) With the uncleaned mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.  
4) Fold in the whipping cream until incorporated.  

CAKE TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

Comments

  1. so delicious! I gave one to Beena and she told me to tell you that it is "yummy"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video! It made me wonder if by the same token sugar could be used to balance out cases where you use too much vinegar. I've heard you can add it to food if you accidentally made it too spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw red velvet cupcakes at Au Bon Pain the other day. Looks just like yours!! (but I didn't buy any, you know why) =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo, a vlog! What a nice walk-through on cake baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious, and i will try, but quick question. Is this your modified version of the hershey's recipe? Because if you go to their website the recipe is different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joanna: First, thanks for stopping by my blog! And to answer your question, this is the same recipe with the only difference being that the version on my blog is halved to make 12 cupcakes instead of the original 24 on Hershey's website!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well duh to me...I should have noticed...lol!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please don't be a NINJA! Leave me a comment, a question, or a simple hello!

Popular Posts