Ingredients for 12 cupcakes
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup All-Purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp red food color
2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) Sift together the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, flour and salt). Set aside.
3) Beat the sugar and butter. Add in the eggs and vanilla.
4) Stir together the wet ingredients (food coloring and buttermilk) in a measuring cup. Set aside.
5) Alternatively add the wet and dry ingredients into the sugar/butter/egg batter.
6) Mix in the baking soda first and then the vinegar.
7) Bake for 18-20 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick. If crumbs are sticking to the toothpick, then they are done. They will finishing baking in the cupcake pan from the residual heat for a minute or two.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting adapted from my own personal trial & error experiments!
Ingredients generously frosts 12 cupcakes and then some :)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 tbsp hot water
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp sour cream
1) Dissolve the gelatin in hot water and set aside.
2) Whip the heavy whipping cream in a chilled bowl with a chilled whisk. Once soft peaks are achieved, add the gelatin mixture. Continue beating until the peaks become stiff. Remove from mixing bowl and set aside.
3) With the uncleaned mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
4) Fold in the whipping cream until incorporated.
CAKE TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE