Southern Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie
Recipe adapted from the Lee Bros Southern Cookbook
Ingredients for one 9-in pie
1.5 lbs sweet potato (approx. 2 medium; peeled and chopped into blocks)
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flout
1 pie crust, prebaked
1) Preheat the oven to 375F.
2) Steam the potatoes for 20 minutes. Puree and use only 1.5 cups of it. Mix that with the butter, flour, spices and salt.
3) Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and set aside.
4) Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until creamy yellow in color. Add the sweet potato mixture and stir until incorporated.
5) Then add in the buttermilk, followed by the folding in of the egg whites.
6) Pour mixture into the prebaked crust and bake on the middle rack until the center is firm and has set, for approximately 35-40 minutes.
7) Cool completely before slicing.