a no frills flaky pie crust

Oh snap.  I'm behind on my blogging.  For the past couple of months I have been working on a classic yellow cake vlog and I've been doing a lot of research for it.  It'll be posted in early July, but for now I have no videos to share.  Instead I'm going to briefly blog about a basic flaky pie crust recipe.  I've used this for several pies and what I love about it is that it is so incredibly flaky and melts in your mouth.  It has no butter, but all shortening.  I know most people think shortening is unappetizing and unhealthy, but trust me when I say that butter isn't any healthier.  While butter offers more in flavor, it creates a dense pie crust.  You want something airy with layers?  Try out this recipe.  It has rave reviews from allrecipes!


Basic Flaky Pie Crust
Recipe from Allrecipes.com
Ingredients for 1 pie crust
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
3 tablespoons ice water

Directions
1) Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water over flour.
2) Toss mixture with a fork to moisten, adding more water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together.
3) Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
4) Roll out dough, and put in a pie plate. Fill with desired filling and bake.

Questions?  Comments?  Just ask!

Comments

Popular Posts