the new & improved Strawberry Cake
Recipe adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor
Ingredients for a three layer 8-inch cake
1 package (18.25 oz) plain white cake mix
1/2 package (approx. 1.5 oz) strawberry gelatin
1 1/2 cup mashed (frozen & thawed) strawberries with juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
4 large eggs, separated then acclimated to room temperature
1) Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cake pans, line with parchment paper and dust with flour. Set aside.
2) Sift the cake mix and strawberry gelatin and set aside.
3) Whisk the egg whites together until stiff.
4) Add the mashed strawberries and juice, oil, milk and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and blend with dry ingredients. Beat until combined.
5) Fold in the egg whites.
6) Bake the cakes until they are light brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack right side up.