Revisited: new & improved strawberry cake

Remember when I vlogged about the Cake Mix Doctor's Strawberry Cake and I mentioned the flaws contributing to the overly moist and greasy cake with a cream cheese frosting that seemed too fluid to hold its shape?  Toward the end of the vlog, I offer a few suggestions that I deduced to resolve these issues and I said I would reattempt the recipe using these very recommendations for improving the cake.  I blog to you today to tell you I did just that...last month.   The final result was everything I had anticipated.  The cake was moist and fluffy and light as air.  As for the frosting, I totally went in another direction and used the icing I paired with my strawberry bread recipe.  This cake is definitely something I will make again in the future!


the new & improved Strawberry Cake
Recipe adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor
Ingredients for a three layer 8-inch cake
1 package (18.25 oz) plain white cake mix
1/2 package (approx. 1.5 oz) strawberry gelatin
1 1/2 cup mashed (frozen & thawed) strawberries with juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
4 large eggs, separated then acclimated to room temperature

Directions
1) Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease cake pans, line with parchment paper and dust with flour.  Set aside.
2) Sift the cake mix and strawberry gelatin and set aside.
3) Whisk the egg whites together until stiff.
4) Add the mashed strawberries and juice, oil, milk and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and blend with dry ingredients.  Beat until combined.
5) Fold in the egg whites.
6) Bake the cakes until they are light brown, approximately 25-30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.   Remove from the pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack right side up. 

Comments

  1. hmm, you were right in the last post when you said the bright pink coloring is a little scary! it looks like the kind of cake asians love--light and fluffy! i still think the strawberry bread looks better...i guess i just have to try them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Charlene K: If you don't get the chance to try it out anytime soon, we can definitely make both when we see each other again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! My mouth is salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mandy: Thanks! I hope you try it because it tastes awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a first time visitor to your blog. I find that the science part of baking is so crucial as well. Really enjoyed the detail explanation. I realise that you mentioned co-op as one of the supermarket around your area. Are you living in Swiss? Cos they have lot's of Co-op supermarket there. Will be visiting your blog again if I decide to make red velvet cupcakes.

    Cheerie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please don't be a NINJA! Leave me a comment, a question, or a simple hello!

Popular Posts